Avera eCARE Correctional Health
Provide your inmates with 24-hour access to urgent care and specialty services – without leaving the security of your correctional health facility – through Avera eCARE Correctional Health. We’ll help you avoid unnecessary transfers, reduce costs, uphold public safety and experience better outcomes.
eCARE Correctional Health by the Numbers
During the last 12 months, we’ve experienced:
- 210 potential transfers avoided – 51 percent of encounters
- $99,220 total estimated costs avoided
Your Correctional Facility Health Care Challenge
Improving health care for inmates is a public health and human rights imperative. Immediate and effective medical care ensures that the entire prison population stays healthier while saving money and time.
However, many correctional facilities – especially those located in rural areas – don’t have ready access to regular medical services and specialists. And with limited health care resources within prison facilities, inmates must often be transferred when urgent medical attention is necessary.
Telemedicine Technology for Inmate Health
An inmate transfer and emergency room visit may cost $4,000+. Costs for security staff to accompany transferred prisoners and ensure public safety during transport add to the expense.
When you partner with eCARE Correctional Health, your facility gains access to 24/7 urgent care services through interactive video technology located at your correctional facility.
Your on-site medical staff collaborates with our advanced practice providers, board-certified emergency medicine physicians, nurses and other clinicians to deliver expert care to your inmates.
You’ll be equipped to:
- Conduct cost-effective initial triage of health situations where the potential for malingering exists.
- Collaborate with other medical professionals for reviews, consultation and advice.
- Receive immediate contact with a consulting provider in a safe, controlled environment 24/7.
- Save taxpayer dollars and better manage your budget through reduced transfers and immediate, expert care.
- Understand the cost savings and health care trends in your facility’s population with our quarterly trend reports.
When your inmates receive the care they need without leaving your facility, you’ll also reduce unnecessary transfers, increase public safety and improve medical outcomes.
How eCARE Correctional Health Works
- Our eCARE Correctional Health team implements high-definition telemedicine equipment into your correctional facility and trains your staff.
- At your correctional facility, inmates enter an exam room equipped with a camera and monitor. Your staff pushes a button to call eCARE Correctional Health.
- Using high-definition two-way video technology, our physicians respond to your call within 30 seconds.
- An urgent care visit is conducted for inmates with a variety of health care complaints such as chest pain, abdominal pain, minor trauma, lacerations or neurological issues.
- Staff may also use diagnostic medical equipment such as a stethoscope or otoscope that sends readings to an eCARE Correctional Health specialist.
- Our virtual assessment supports your on-site clinician in delivering medical care or determining if the situation requires a transfer.
To discover more about how eCARE supports your staff in delivering the quality health care your inmates expect, download our Delivering Health Care of the Future Today white paper. You can also request a free consultation with one of our eCARE Correctional Health experts.