Hospital pharmacists play a vital role in medication safety and the prevention of adverse drug events. They ensure prescribed medications are appropriate for the particular patient, check for allergic and drug reactions and verify medication dosage. Hospital regulations recognize the need for 24-hour pharmacist review of medication, but with a shortage of pharmacists across the United States, many hospitals can’t provide onsite, real-time review 24/7/365.
Since ePharmacy launched in 2008, we’ve provided remote, around-the-clock pharmacy coverage for over 744,000 patients across 70 sites.
During the last 12 months, we’ve experienced:
- 10,000 interventions
- 5,500 avoided adverse drug events
- $13 million cost savings from avoided adverse drug events
- 17 minute average turnaround time ***
How quickly are medications reviewed before they’re administered at your hospital?
Your Medication Safety Challenge
98,000 lives are lost each year due to medication errors, according to the Institute of Medicine.
Now federal and state regulations require medication review before administration while most rural hospitals are staffed by pharmacists only 10 percent of the time or less, due to the limited number of pharmacists who practice in rural communities.
No matter the size or location of your facility, ensure medication safety for your patients 24/7/365 by partnering with ePharmacy. You’ll gain access to licensed and hospital-trained pharmacists for real-time, first-dose order reviews and instant consultations on medication-related issues or concerns.
How ePharmacy Works
- Our ePharmacy team works with your staff to learn your medication-related processes and integrate our services into your workflow.
- We implement and integrate the necessary software and hardware into your systems to allow us to receive and prioritize real-time orders. We work right in your electronic medical record as a seamless part of your care team.
- All new prescriptions are placed in the queue at our centralized virtual hospital hub where licensed and experienced hospital pharmacists receive and review medication orders 24/7/365.
- We provide your prescriber or nursing staff with recommendations on preparation, administration and safe use. We carefully watch for drug interactions and duplicate orders to ensure patients get the precise medication they need.
- Beyond real-time medication review, your facility receives ongoing monitoring of medication therapy the entire time a patient stays with you.
- In addition, your staff can call on us at any time – even in the middle of the night – to consult on medication-related issues or concerns.
Collaborate for Personalized Care
As a health care system, we understand what’s happening in the worlds of health care and pharmacy. When you become an ePharmacy partner, we share evidence-based knowledge and practice with you to support your efforts to continually improve quality and reduce costs.
Our pharmacists work together in a centralized telemedicine hub, so we’re here for you—and wide-awake—all day and all night.
We collaborate with your current pharmacy and/or professional staff to assist with complex situations and ensure that your patients receive the most effective medications.
Benefit from ePharmacy
Comply with medication regulations from The Joint Commission and federal and state governments.
Reduce the risks of medication errors.
Offer the option of offloading daytime order review from your pharmacists, allowing them to focus on medication reconciliation, patient counseling and patient rounds with providers.
Deliver the most effective medications for each patient.
Stay up-to-date with current evidence-based medication practices.
Receive support for the move toward bedside medication verification, electronic medication administration records and computerized physician order entry.
Gain access to our workflow/order management software.
We’ll work with your team to implement a set of proven practices and set your facility up for long-term success:
- Implementation: Perform an on-site assessment and develop a step-by-step project plan and roll-out strategy.
- Go-Live and Launch: Work through pharmacy, nursing, physician and provider processes to ensure success.
- Post-Launch: Supply monthly reporting, ongoing education and recommendations to continually improve processes and delivery of care. Solicit ongoing feedback to ensure that we meet your needs.
The strength of our standardized processes and relationships will ensure success for your facility.
Mobridge Regional Hospital Testimonial
“As the only pharmacist on staff, the pharmacy is under my watch 24/7, which added a lot of stress to my life when I wasn’t at the hospital. ePharmacy services took that heavy weight off my shoulders. I feel more at ease knowing that when I’m gone or on vacation, another pharmacist is verifying orders in a timely manner. They’re also a great resource. Calling them is an easy way to talk to another pharmacist about a particular situation. They’re easy to get ahold of and always open to my questions. I love it and would highly recommend it!”
Pharmacist at Mobridge Regional Hospital in Mobridge, S.D.
S.D. Board of Pharmacy Member
Avera Sacred Heart Hospital Testimonial
“With the assistance of ePharmacy, our critical access hospitals now have a pharmacist that will help them 24/7. Renal dosing, drug interaction checking, allergy checking, therapies, drug/drug interactions and incompatibility checking and verification of medication profiles are all done in real-time with no waiting. This has vastly improved care across our entire region. If a patient is transferred to a different site or region there’s also a continuity of care that is not provided anywhere else.
“I cannot think of a higher quality professional group that provides the vast services that they do. Their accurate, fast, professional, high quality services are not matched by any other group of professionals!”
Steve Weinandt, RPh
Avera Sacred Heart Hospital