Improving health care for inmates is a public health and human rights imperative. Inmates typically experience high rates of chronic medical conditions, especially viral infections, so by providing immediate and effective medical care, the entire prison population stays healthier than if health conditions go untreated or don’t receive prompt attention.
eCorrectional Health, currently in use at four South Dakota correctional facilities, provides fast, secure and safe access to urgent care for inmates at correctional facilities.
Client Cost Savings and Successes
- 220 potential transfers avoided – 42 percent of encounters
- $92,000 total estimated costs avoided
(over a 12 month period)
Your Correctional Facility Health Care Challenge
An inmate transfer and emergency room visit may cost $4,000+
Costs for security staff to accompany transferred prisoners and ensure public safety during transport add to the expense.
Because many prisons are located in rural areas, they don’t have ready access to regular medical services and specialists. In addition, the limited resources inside prison walls—especially for health care services and support—often result in transferring inmates when they need immediate medical attention.
Delivering appropriate health care for your inmates affects your ability to wisely use taxpayer dollars and effectively manage your facility budgets.
By partnering with eCorrectional Health, you gain immediate access to 24/7/365 urgent care through interactive video technology located at your correctional facility.
How eCorrectional Health Works
- Our eCorrectional Health team implements high definition telemedicine equipment into your correctional facility and trains your staff.
- At your correctional facility, inmates enter an exam room equipped with a camera and monitor. Your staff pushes a button to call eCorrectional Health.
- Using high definition two-way video technology, our advanced practice providers and board-certified emergency medicine physicians respond to your call within 30 seconds.
- An urgent care visit is conducted for inmates with a variety of health care complaints such as chest pain, abdominal pain, minor trauma, lacerations or neurological issues.
- Staff may also use diagnostic medical equipment such as a stethoscope or otoscope that sends readings to an eCorrectional Health specialist.
- Our virtual assessment supports your onsite clinician in delivering medical care or determining if the situation requires a transfer.
Benefit from eCorrectional Health
As an eCorrectional Health partner, your facility benefits from immediate access to a skilled group of doctors, advanced practice providers, nurses and other clinicians, all available to assist your staff in delivering better care for your correctional facility.
Conduct cost-effective initial triage of health situations where the potential for malingering exists.
Receive immediate contact with a consulting provider in a safe, controlled environment 24/7/365.
Save taxpayer dollars and better manage your health care budget through reduced transfers and immediate, expert care.
Collaborate with other medical professionals for reviews, consultation and advice.
Receive quarterly trend reports that show you the cost savings and health care trends in your facility’s population.
We’ll work with your team to implement a set of proven practices and set your facility up for long-term success:
- Pre-Launch: Develop a priority map and step-by-step rollout strategy.
- During Launch: Assist with assessment, implementation and training at each site.
- Post-Launch: Supply monthly reporting, ongoing education and recommendations to continually improve processes and delivery of care. The strength of our standardized processes and relationships will ensure success for your facility.