Avera eCARE eConsult
Look to Avera eCARE™ eConsult for access to scheduled medical specialty care through high-definition, interactive video technology located at your facility. Better access means better care for the patients you serve.
eConsult by the Numbers
Since eConsult launched in 1993, we’ve grown to offer approximately 35 medical specialties—including infectious disease, pulmonology, cardiology, nephrology and others—and we work with more than 100 participating providers.
During the last 12 months, we’ve experienced:
- 11,129 total visits
- 22,556 patient hours saved
- 2.9 million miles saved
- $1.2 million in total estimated cost savings
Your Health Care Delivery Challenge
When patients have to travel for a specialty consultation, it often requires them to spend time away from work and family, plus money out of pocket for gas or lodging. In fact, 20 percent of those living in rural or remote regions say they wouldn’t seek medical care if it meant:
- A long drive
- Out-of-town lodging
- Time away from work
- Travel expenses
For physicians, “drive time” to visit outreach sites could be time better spent caring for patients.
Provide your community with access to specialty care while making the most of physicians’ time when you partner with eConsult.
Benefit from Telemedicine Consultations
As an eConsult clinical site, your facility benefits from enhanced access to a skilled group of doctors, advanced practice providers, nurses and other clinicians, all available to assist your staff in delivering better care for your community.
In our surveys, 98 percent of patient respondents report high satisfaction with their eConsult visits. eConsult allows local residents to:
- Manage health concerns on a timely basis to avoid complications or more serious issues
- Receive care close to home
- Reduce personal expenses from travel and missed time at work
When patients schedule an eConsult visit at your facility, you’ll retain ancillary charges and other health care revenue, rather than sending the patient to a specialty clinic. Many payors also reimburse a telehealth Originating Site fee.
Learn more by viewing our eConsult infographic and reading what some of our eConsult clients have to say.
Collaborate for Specialty Care
No matter the size of your medical clinic or practice, eConsult can supplement the care you provide by connecting medical specialists to rural clinics and giving them the tools they need to collaborate during each visit. In addition, we can assist your staff with medical records, coordinating schedules and more.
For specialty clinics or health systems interested in larger partnership opportunities, eConsult also provides:
- Telemedicine consultation support to build and improve your outpatient services.
- Opportunities to realize significant time savings which augment revenue by serving more patients.
- Reimbursement. In most cases, Medicare and other payors reimburse for rural telehealth services at the same level as in-person services.
- Strategy, tools, reporting and best practices for successful network expansion.
How eConsult Works
- Providers refer a patient to a specialist, easily scheduled with eConsult just like a typical office visit.
- At your local clinic or hospital, patients enter an exam room equipped with a camera and monitor. Under the care of your on-site physician, advanced practice provider or nurse, eConsult virtual visits directly connect you with the off-site specialty provider.
- Bedside staff may also use diagnostic medical equipment such as a stethoscope or otoscope that transmits to an eConsult specialist. In addition, the “exam cam” provides high-definition views to the consulting physician.
- Services are billed using the same office visit codes in traditional practice for seamless health care delivery.
eConsult may not be appropriate in all instances. When you receive a request for an appointment, we recommend reviewing the details of the situation and deciding whether to use eConsult or see the patient in person.
To discover more about Avera eCARE telemedicine services, download our Delivering Health Care of the Future Today white paper and request a free consultation.